Mark L. Wood, MD
Dr. Mark Wood was born and raised in North Carolina. He received his bachelor's degree from North Carolina State University and attended medical school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He also completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at UNC prior to moving back to Raleigh to practice. He is married and has two daughters and a son.
Dr. Wood is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of knee and shoulder disorders. His interests are in arthroscopic surgery, rotator cuff repair, shoulder instability, and ACL reconstruction. He performs knee and shoulder reconstructions, including minimially invasive partial "unicompartmental" knee replacements, shoulder resurfacing procedures, and "reverse" total shoulder replacements.
Dr. Wood continues to be recognized for his achievements and excellence to the profession and his unbending dedication. He has presented his research at the local, regional and national levels and has multiple publications in the medical literature. Dr. Wood enjoys tennis, boating, fishing, and snow skiing.
- Undergraduate: North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude
- Medical School: The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, Doctor of Medicine with Honors
- Internship: General Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Residency: Orthopaedic Surgery, The University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Board Certified, Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Highest Medical Honors, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Highest University Honors, North Carolina State University
- Excellence in Orthopaedic Research Award, University of North Carolina Department of Orthopaedics
- Excellence in Teaching Award, University of North Carolina Department of Surgery
- John B. Graham Medical Student Research Award
- National Institute of Health Research Grant
- National Institute of Health Research Award
- Medical Alumni Loyalty Four year Academic Scholarship, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Edwards-Hobgood Distinguished Scholarship, University of North Carolina School of Medicine
- Burroughs Wellcome Company Excellence Award
- Medical Director, Wake Orthopaedics
- Director of Orthopaedics, Wake Medical Center
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of North Carolina Department of Orthopaedics